Summer is finally here folks! It is no secret that everyone wants to look his or her best when they hit the beach, especially between the ladies. Not only do you want to look perfect in their trending bikini suits, you want your skin to glow and look flawless too.
Well here are a few simple tips for you to follow if you’re going to chill at the beach on a hot summer’s day.
#1 Protect Yourself from Harmful UV rays
Sun protection should be the first and most important thing to do for flawless summer skin. Long exposure to sun does not only get you tanned but its harmful UV rays are most common factors towards skin cancer. According to research, skin cancer has become one of the most common form of cancer in the States.
How to protect yourself from UV rays?
- Avoid spending too much time outdoors, especially when UV rays are at their peak, starting from 10am to 2-3pm.
- Apply sunscreen with an SPF50+ half an hour before you head out to the beach or wherever you’re going.
- Don’t forget about your lips! Buy lip balms with SPF to protect your lips.
- Wear clothing with ultraviolet protection factor (UPF).
- Wear sunglasses, they’re both stylish and protects eyes from blinding sunlight.
Click Here for more TCM+ Product Info
#2 Keep Skin Moisturized & Soft like a Baby
Make sure you have your face and body moisturizers in your traveling purse at all times. You may think that only winter days require moisturizers then you’re absolutely wrong.
Summer sun can damage and dehydrate your skin, make it dull and rough to touch. However, keep in mind which types of moisturizers you use, during summer days you should be using Water-Based Moisturizers instead of oil-based moisturizers as oil-based products can easily clog up pores which then leads to unwanted breakouts.
#3 Replenish Yourself with H2O (8-10oz. glasses a day)
Especially when you’re spending more time outdoors, dry hot weather can dehydrate your skin and body. This is a reason why most of you may have experienced headaches and dizziness after a long day at sea or a beach day with friends. To prevent this, all you need to do is to keep yourself hydrated with water, this way your body is kept hydrated, energized, and maintain healthy skin. For an extra energy boost and a spritz of healthy blood sugar level, I recommend you take a few packs these Manuka Honey Snaps with you whenever you go out.
You can take it as is or squeeze a serving into your water bottle for an added energy boost.
#4 Summer means showing off your pretty feet!
Another reason why we love summer time is because we finally get the chance to wear our favorite flip flops and sandals so we can show off our beautiful toes and fresh pedicures.
So don’t forget to apply sunscreen on your feet too or else you’ll get dark patches of skin and flip flop tans that may take years to fade if you’re not doing it right. To maintain good looking feet, you should:
- Avoid cutting the sides of the nails to avoid ingrown nail problems.
- Soak your feet in warm water for 10-15 minutes to allow skin to soften, use a gentle foot scrub to remove dry skin. Use pumice stone or filer with thicker skin. Always remember to apply moisturizer afterwards.
- Moisturize feet daily as you would for your face and body.
#5 Hair and Scalp Protection Before & After Sun Exposure is Crucial
Never underestimate what the sun can do to your hair and scalp, as your hair was not made to protect your scalp from sun damage. Long exposures under the sun may lead to sunburnt scalp, and dry dull looking hair.
- Rule #1: Don’t wash your hair every day! Let your hair clean itself with its own natural oils.
- Avoid too much coloring and chemical hair treatments
- Apply rinse-off conditioner, one that comes with a SPF would be best.
- NEVER shampoo your hair before going swimming.
- After sun exposure, make sure you treat you hair and scalp with a layer of leave-in conditioner to nourish dry frizzy areas, wrap a towel or plastic cap over it and leave it overnight.
- If possible, use a scarf or a beach hat to cover your head when you’re outdoors.
- Another trick to after sun-exposure is a hot oil treatment. Using avocado, coconut, or olive oil as base, apply it after shampooing from ends to roots. Rinse with conditioner. Don’t worry, these natural formulas won’t grease up your hair.
#6 Soothe Skin after Sun Exposure
This is a no-brainer right, especially at times when you forgot to reapply sunscreen throughout the day. Getting sunburnt or even just seeing red patches on your skin is the last thing you want, because that means skin is already damaged. While skin damage can’t be undone, you can still do something about it to reduce redness and inflammation, and speed up skin recovery:
- Apply a thick layer of aloe vera or cooling balms onto sunburned areas to aid healing and decrease discomfort.
- Use lotions that contain aloe vera properties.
- Apply a cool compress on sunburned areas.
- Apply cucumber mash, cool milk or yogurt on red patches.
- If you take baths, pour a cup of apple cider vinegar to promote skin healing.
#7 Skin Cleansing is Not to be Missed
Use a mild cleanser with natural ingredients that is moisturizing enough to nourish skin yet strong enough to clear up dirty pores from a long day of outdoor activities. If you are thirsting for an exfoliation to remove dead skin cells and impurities, choose an exfoliator that is super gentle to skin, you would not want to further inflame exposed skin nor should you exfoliate too frequently during summer times.
Getting flawless beach ready skin is an achievable task if you stick with these few tips. Routine and correct use of products are two most important things you should always keep in mind.
Just be sure to never foget about your scalp and feet protection! – T.